13 August 2005

It was 44 years ago today


In the mid-August morning back in 1961 the citizens of Berlin woke up to a divided city. The world was never the same. At the time, the wall that was to follow became the front line of what was the Cold War. The battles between the East and the West were fought here. Though there was never any formal declaration of war, the Allies and their resolve to preserve the rights of the citizens of Berlin, fought this war everyday until the ultimate victory when the wall came down in November of 1989. When the 1961 "goal of German unity" commitment by then Chancellor, Konrad Adenauer, was ultimately realized in 1991.

Members of the Berlin Brigade were there every step of the way. To have been afforded the opportunity to be a member of the Berlin Brigade at some point in its honored hostory is the highest honor that I can carry with me for the remaining days of my life. I am equally honored to have worked with a group of Professionals that have never been equalled since I left the Brigade. I know that I never will get a chance to be part of such a group in the future.

Speaking as a citizen of the world, member of the Brigade, as a free man, and as a citizen of Berlin, I thank everyone for not letting down the people of West and East Berlin especially in their time of need. As a member of the Allies, I thank the citizens of Berlin for their patience but most of all for their support, understanding, and commitment to us as we committed to them.

Now as we look to the future is the wishes of everyone that experienced the wall, that a wall such as this one never be erected. May the world never again know the division it experienced in the 20th century.

No comments: